Chicken is perfect for soaking up the smokey flavor. This Hazelnut Smoked Chicken recipe uses a half chicken, but it can easily be adapted for thighs, legs or breasts. It’s also perfect for meal prep, salads, sandwiches, soups, casseroles, etc.
- One-half chicken per person
- Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- MAK Bird rub (or your favorite chicken seasoning)
Pellet Recommendation: Hazelnut pellets
- Rinse chicken pieces then pat dry with a paper towel.
- Rub a couple of tablespoons of olive oil both over and under the skin, then apply a generous amount of rub underneath the skin, and sprinkle rub on top of the skin. (Applying the seasonings under the skin really enhances the flavor of chicken and gives you the option of not eating the skin without having to sacrifice the flavor profiles that the rubs provide.)
- Wrap chicken tightly and refrigerate for 2-4 hours, to allow oil and rubs to blend and flavor the chicken. (Alternately, seasoning and then leaving the chicken uncovered in the fridge will help dry out the skin and make for an extra crispy skin.)
- Turn MAK grill on to SMOKE mode, and place chicken on the grill.
- Smoke chicken for approximately 2 hours (more or less depending on the level of smoke flavor desired), then turn the MAK up to 350ºF to crisp the skin and bring chicken up to temperature.
- Rather than cooking by time, we highly recommend the use of a digital meat temperature probe (either the one provided with your grill or an instant-read thermometer).
- All meats need to be cooked to their respective Internal Temperatures (IT). Chicken Breasts need to be taken to at least 165ºF and the Leg/Thighs (dark meat) to 180ºF.
- Rest chicken under foil if desired, and serve with your favorite side dishes.
General Tip: Always be careful when cooking chicken. The best way to determine if it’s done is by checking the internal temperature.
SHOW OFF YOUR SKILLS
If you decide to give this recipe a try, we want to see it! Share a photo in our Facebook group – MAK Pellet Grill Fans. This group is filled with fellow pelletheads who are never hesitant to share their culinary masterpieces or offer MAK maintenance advice. If you’re not currently a member, request to join today!