It’s National Nachos Day and with holiday entertaining soon at hand, these Irish Nachos are a tasty treat and a fun side dish as well.
Irish Nachos Recipe
- 2 lbs Yukon Gold potatoes, washed and sliced into rounds
- 6 slices of bacon, fried and chopped
- 2 TBSP. bacon grease
- 1.5 cups shredded cheese
- 1 small tomato diced
- 3 strands of green onions, chopped
- 1-2 jalapenos, seeded and sliced into rounds
- Sour cream
- Cookie sheet
- Heat Resistant Casserole dish
- Wash and slice the potatoes into half inch thick rounds.
- Dice the tomato and slice the jalapeno.
- In a skillet, cook the bacon until it is just short of crispy place on paper towels to drain and cool. Save the bacon grease.
- Once the bacon has cooled, chop it up into small pieces.
- Chop the green onion and set aside.
- In a bowl, add the potato rounds and bacon grease. Toss to combine. Be careful, the grease will be hot!
- Lay the potato rounds in a single layer on the cookie sheet.
- Start your MAK and set at 400 degrees. Allow grill to come to temperature.
- Place cookie sheet with potato rounds into grill and cook for 15 minutes.
- Remove cookie sheet and flip potato rounds over.
- Return to grill and cook an additional 10-15 minutes. Do not over cook potato rounds.
- Remove potato rounds from grill.
- In a casserole dish, add a layer of potato rounds, sprinkle shredded cheese and some bacon.
- Add a second layer of potato rounds, cheese, bacon and continue adding layers as needed to fit all the potato rounds into the dish.
- Place diced tomatoes and sliced jalapenos on top layer along with the remaining shredded cheese and bacon bits.
- Place the casserole dish into your MAK and allow the cheese to melt and become bubbly over approximately 5-8 minutes.
- Carefully remove casserole dish from the grill.
- Sprinkle the green onions on top of the nachos.
- Allow the Irish Potato Nachos to cool for about 5 minutes, then serve with sour cream and guacamole.