Today we’ve got a mouthwatering dessert recipe from Mr. BBQ himself, Bruce Bjorkman. This Smoked Apples recipe is a fall favorite and more proof that you can cook almost ANYTHING on your MAK!
- 1-medium-sized apple per person (recommended apple varieties: Red Delicious, Golden Delicious, Gala, Fuji, Honeycrisp). You might also want to try one or more “heritage” apple varieties for flavor variation.
- 1/4 cup brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons cinnamon
- 1/4 cup chopped pecans
- 1/4 cup currants, chopped raisins or other dried fruit of your choice
- 1 Tsp butter per apple
- Optional: add one teaspoon of spiced rum or bourbon to each apple
Preparation & Cooking:
- Wash and dry apples.
- Using a paring knife, core apple, and create a two inch diameter bowl in apple.
- Pierce the remaining flesh with a fork.
- In a bowl, combine the sugar, cinnamon, pecans, dried fruits.
- Mix ingredients thoroughly, and divide into four equal portions.
- Spoon mixture into each apple, then top each with 1/4 teaspoon of butter, and rum/bourbon if you’re using it.
- Place apples in heat tolerant glass baking dish.
- With Flame Zone™ cover in place, power on your grill and leave the setpoint temperature on SMOKE.
- Allow grill to come to temperature.
- Place pan in center of grill, and smoke for 30-60 minutes.
- Raise the grill temperature to 350F and cook apples for an additional 30 minutes until tender, but not mushy.
- Carefully remove hot pan, serve apples by themselves or with a scoop of vanilla ice cream.