From time to time we challenge the pellethead community to send in their most drool-inducing beef dishes, and they deliver! This is all about the tri-tip brisket-style recipe.
Jacob Samarin’s Tri-Tip Brisket-Style Recipe
Cook Time: Approximately 3 Hours (Prep: 5 Minutes for Seasoning & 24 Hours to Marinade.)
- 4 lbs. of beef tri-tip steak
- 4 tablespoons of pepper (if you can find smoked pepper, use 2 tablespoons of regular, and 2 tablespoons of smoked.)
- 8 teaspoons of granulated garlic powder
- 4 teaspoons of dry mustard
- 4 teaspoons of paprika
- 1 teaspoon of cayenne pepper
- Liberally apply rub to your tri-tip steaks.
- Put your steaks in a food saver or Ziploc-style bag and keep them in the fridge overnight.
- The next day, heat your MAK up to 275 with the FlameZone covers on.
- Place the tri-tip on the top rack (if you have one) with a temp probe inserted into the thickest part of the meat. Cook until an internal temp of 160.
- Now place the tri-tip in a foil pan and cover the top of the pan with foil, making sure to leave the probe in the meat.
- Place the foil pan on the bottom rack of your smoker and cook to an internal temp of 190.
- Once the cooking process is finished, remove the tri-tip and let it rest in the covered pan for no less than 30 minutes.
- After the resting period separate the two halves of the tri-tip and cut each half against the grain, making pencil-width slices.