Acorn Squash Recipe
Cook Time: Approximately 30-45 minutes
We know how difficult it can be to come up with unique sides to go along with your smoked meat masterpieces. Acorn squash is one of our favorites! The soft pulp mixed with a little brown sugar and butter with a few walnuts for texture is quite the delicacy. It’s also a great way to get your kids to eat their vegetables by convincing them that they’re getting dessert for dinner.
- 1 squash per 2 people
- 3 Tbsp. brown sugar
- 4 Tbsp. softened butter
- 2 Tbsp. chopped walnuts (Optional)
- 1 pinch nutmeg
- Alder or Maple pellets
- Wash and dry squash.
- Cut off the top and bottom tips of squash, and cut a thin slice on either side of the squash to create a flat spot.
- Cut squash in half, scraping out seeds.
- Slice a crosshatch pattern about 1/2″ into the flesh of the squash.
- In a bowl, mix walnuts, butter and brown sugar together.
- Divide mixture and spread into each half of squash.
- With Flame Zone™ cover in place, start the grill, adjusting setpoint temperature to 400 degrees.
- Pre-heat grill for 10 minutes.
- Place squash halves in center of the grill and bake for approximately 30-45 minutes, until squash is just beginning to soften.
- Remove, sprinkle with a dash of nutmeg and serve.