Although this cornbread recipe doesn’t exactly qualify as fresh veggies, it’s still a great vegetarian side dish option! One of the pros of having a MAK grill is you have the ability to make baked goods. Unlike baking dishes in an oven, you’ll get that smokey flavor you know and love with equal to less effort.
Cornbread is one of those dishes that dances on the line between sweet and savory. We’ve decided to put our own unique twist on it, pushing it further towards the savory side of the scale. We hope you enjoy our Jalapeño Cornbread Recipe!
- 1½ cups of cornmeal
- 1 cup of all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon of baking powder
- 1 tablespoon of sugar
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- A ¾ cup of grated sharp cheddar cheese
- 2 medium-sized jalapeño peppers, seeded and chopped
- 4 green onions, chopped
- 1 cup of buttermilk
- 1 can of (8.75 oz.) creamed corn
- 2 eggs, beaten
- A ¼ cup of vegetable oil
Pellet Recommendation: Apple, Hickory, or Mesquite pellets.
- Combine cornmeal, flour, baking powder, sugar, and salt in mixing bowl.
- Stir in cheese, peppers, and green onions.
- Pour buttermilk into 16-oz. measuring cup; stir in creamed corn, eggs, and oil.
- Combine the buttermilk mixture with cornmeal mixture; stir until just blended.
- Pour mixture into 9-inch cast iron skillet or baking pan.
- With the FlameZone™ covers in place, start the grill and adjust setpoint temperature to 450°F.
- Allow the grill to reach setpoint.
- Place pan on grill and cook for 25-35 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center of the cornbread comes out clean.
- Remove from grill; place on a wire rack to cool.
- Cut into slices and serve!
SHOW OFF YOUR SKILLS
If you decide to give this recipe a try, we want to see it! Share a photo in our Facebook group – MAK Pellet Grill Fans. This group is filled with fellow pelletheads who are never hesitant to share their culinary masterpieces or offer MAK maintenance advice. If you’re not currently a member, request to join today!