This smoked tri-tip roast recipe was generously provided by our good friend, pellet smoking expert Peter Jautaikis.
These Tips are what pellethead dreams are made of! This delectable mouth-watering recipe will melt in your mouth and impress your family and friends. When selecting Tri-Tip roasts always purchase Choice or Prime grade. If available, purchase “peeled” Tri-Tips which have the fat cap trimmed off.
Ingredients For The Smoked Tri-Tip Roast Recipe
- Remove the fat cap if your tri-tip has one and all silver skin.
- Rub the tri-tip with olive oil (glue for the dry rub).
- Season the tri-tip liberally on all sides.
- Wrap the seasoned tri-tip in plastic wrap and refrigerate overnight.
- Start grill, adjusting the setpoint temperature to 235ºF.
- Preheat grill, approximately 15 minutes.
- Program meat probe alarm for 145ºF.
- Place meat on the cooking grate and smoke the tri-tip for approx. 2-2½ hours.
- Remove from grill and rest loosely under a foil tent for 15 minutes.
- Slice against the grain.
- Be aware that tri-tips have multiple grain directions.
- Enjoy your smoked tri-tip roast!