On the eighth day of Christmas my MAK Grill made for me: eight cornbread stuffings, seven potatoes a smoking, six asparagus a grilling, five golden shrimp kabobs, four prime ribs, three smoked turkeys, two ham glazes and ribs competition ready.
Sausage, Pecan, Cornbread Stuffing (Serves 8-10)
- 1 lb. (approximately 9 cups) cornbread stuffing mix
- 1 lb. breakfast sausage (if links, remove the casings), savory sausage meat is preferred
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 2-1/2 cups chopped yellow or white onions
- 1-1/2 cups celery, cut into ¼ inch slices
- 1-1/4 cups toasted and chopped pecans
- 3/4 cup butter
- 1/4 cup apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoons of sage (powder or fresh. If fresh, chop)
- 1 tablespoon of fresh rosemary, chopped
- 1 tablespoon of fresh thyme
- 2 teaspoons of sea salt
- 2 large eggs
Preparation – Step 1
- Start your MAK and set the temperature to 250F.
- On a cookie sheet, spread the pecans out in a single layer.
- When the grill reaches temperature, place pecans inside and toast for 45 minutes.
- You do not need to flip the nuts over.
- After toasting, remove from grill, allow to cool and then chop.
- Optional: leave some of the pecans whole for garnishing dressing after it’s been cooked.
Preparation – Step 2
- Cook sausage in a skillet large enough to accommodate the meat.
- Cook over medium-high heat, breaking up the sausage into small pieces, approximately 10 minutes of cook time.
- When cooked, transfer to a large mixing bowl and add cornbread mixture.
- Next, place butter, onions and celery into the skillet and cook until just soft.
- Pour vegetables into the bowl with the cornbread and sausage.
- Pour the apple cider vinegar into the sauce pan, scraping the browned bits from the pan.
- Transfer to the bowl.
- Now, fold in 1.5 cups of chicken broth and all of the chopped pecans, add spices and gently mix ingredients together.
- Allow mixture to cool for 15 minutes.
- Whisk together 1.5 cups of remaining chicken broth and eggs in a small bowl.
- Pour into large bowl with cornbread, etc. gently mix in with all of the other ingredients.
- Transfer the mixture to a large rectangular, heat resistant casserole dish.
- Raise grill temperature to 350F.
- Allow grill to come up to temperature.
- Place casserole dish inside the grill and bake for approximately 45 minutes, or until stuffing temperature reaches 165F with an instant-read thermometer.
- Once cooked, remove and garnish with some whole toasted pecans.